Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Word Cloud on Daisy Miller

http://tagcrowd.com/ ---doesnt work heres a link to the cloud after i printscreened it and then uploaded it to photobucket...http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/SammyRZ/daisymillerwordcloud.jpg

I made a word cloud for Daisy Miller because I was really interested to see if the word pretty really was one that was used a lot in this story. I was really interested to find that "Winterbourne" was the most used word in this story, especially considering the fact that the story really isn't about him. "Pretty" is used quite a bit though, not nearly as much as "Winterbourne" then "Daisy" then "Young" then "Mrs" then "Daisy". I find it very ineresting that "young" is a big word, considering the discussion we had today about what "pretty" meant in the terms of this story, and what it usually implies about the person being described. "Young" was one of the first words we used to decribe pretty and its used a lot.
"Girl", "Going", and "American are also really intersting words to have repeated in this story, based on the fact that the characters travel so much in the story and it is a story about a girl, and the main characters are all american. After finally finishing this story, I found it a little more intersting than I previously thought, but it still needs to get to the point much quicker in many, many cases. Beyond all of that though, I found it the most intersting of all that Winterbourne is the most used word in this story, especially since I thought he was essentially the narrator of the story.

3 comments:

Evan Hecker said...

I enjoyed how your word cloud initiated our discussion in class today. After our discussion in class today, it makes more sense as to why Winterbourne was used so frequently, but when I first saw how large Winterbourne was in the word cloud, I too was taken aback. It now makes sense with the understanding that the story is titled Daisy Miller: A Study.

Miss Green said...

I find it interesting that "young" appeared so often in the story. It seems to me like Winterbourne might even use the word to distance himself from Daisy and make himself look better -- that way, she seems too immature and flighty to appreciate him properly.

D. Campbell said...

I think your word cloud was very productive, as Evan says, Samantha. It really helped our discussion today.